Thursday, August 5, 2010

I'd like to make a withdrawal

One day a customer came in and asked to make a withdrawal from her account.  "A withdrawal from what account", I asked.  She said that she would like to get some money out of her account that she opened.  You see, we cash checks at the store.  Each payroll check is charged 1.5% and the customer is given the remainder.  She thought that we held that money, the money we charger her, in an account.  I asked her if she ever received a statement from us.  She looked at me and stared. I asked her again if she ever received a statement from us.  She said she was waiting.  I asked, "waiting for what?"  She said, "what you got to say?"  It dawned on me that she was waiting for me to make a statement.  She didn't know what a bank statement was.  I just looked at her and explained to her that there is no account, that we cash her check and it isn't free to do so.  I told her that there was no money for her.  She just turned away mumbling and dejected. Note to self..no more making assumptions that simple meanings aren't simple at the liquor store.

1 comment: